Perfect dessert for last minute cravings or guests…comes together in 20-25 minutes. You can make it in advance and keep it in the fridge as well as it keeps well for 3-5 days!
For me the most important and beautiful part of this recipe is that pale peachy color the simple syrup takes…ah so wonderfully satisfying! And the green pistachios on top for a bit of a crunch…dunno what more to add honestly. You could even place the cooked fruits in jars, top them with all the syrup and reserve these favorite summer fruits for a gloomy cold day when all you crave is sunshine 🙂
- 125 gr sugar
- 300 ml water
- 2 strips lemon rind, cut into thin strips
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- A handful of pistachios, preferably peeled, roughly chopped
- Vanilla ice cream or plain greek yogurt to serve
- Start by placing a large bowl in the freezer to chill.
- In a wide saucepan add the sugar and water, turn on the heat on low and cook till sugar completely dissolves.
- Now add the lemon strips, cardamom pods, vanilla and continue cooking on gentle heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the peaches and simmer gently for another 5 minutes or until the fruit softens.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to the chilled bowl and add the lemon juice and rosewater. Give a stir and leave to cool then refrigerate.
- Spoon the peaches in serving bowls with a bit of the syrup, scatter chopped pistachios & top with vanilla ice cream.