This brioche is so worth having on your counter waiting for you in the morning that it makes you forget all the waiting involved while making it. I honestly don’t mind the timing and when I see dough all puffed and doubled in size it makes me super happy! It’s perfect to eat as is, lightly toasted with butter and jam or used for french toast. It keeps for 6 days in an airtight container and also, it smells and tastes delicious 🙂 You can definitely make it by hand without a stand mixer. if you try it, let me know!
(find the recipe for my french toast here http://thepestogodmother.com/2019/04/08/french-toast/ )
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 5 tbsp melted and cooled butter (around 70 gr)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour or all purpose flour
- Poppy seeds, optional
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- Place the warm milk in a medium sized bowl and add 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix to dissolve. Add the yeast, mix gently and set aside.
- In the bowl of you stand mixer add the eggs, sugar, salt and the butter. Whisk till just combined.
- Now add the milk and yeast mixture and whisk till just combined.
- Using the dough hook start adding the flour one cup at a time making sure that flour gets well incorporated after each addition. When you reach the last 1/2 cup start adding the flour a tablespoon at a time till you have a dough that is very soft but not sticky (Dough should not stick to your fingers).
- Now knead the dough till smooth and elastic, around 8-10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with cling film and a kitchen towel and place in a dark, warm place till doubled in size – if weather is warm this should take around 2 hours. If it’s winter time I usually turn on my oven on the lowest setting for around 10 minutes, I then turn it off and then place the bowl in the oven, it should be just warm.
- After two hours shape the brioche to your preference – I like to do a big braid. Place the shaped brioche on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, cover loosely and let the dough rest for 30 minutes or until its visibly puffed.
- Prepare the egg wash by simply mixing together the egg and water. Using a brush generously spread the egg wash all over your brioche. Sprinkle the poppy seeds if using.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 190C for 25-30 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
Did you try my other brioche recipe? click the link! http://thepestogodmother.com/2019/04/07/my-aunties-brioche/