Smooth and velvety chocolate filling with a slightly salted flaky crust…this tart is to die for!!! Let me tell you that when I was pregnant with my youngest I ate a loooot of these. The recipe isn’t mine but one of my very best friends’. Trust me and try it, this dessert is just amazing!
For the pastry:
- 225 gr flour
- 180 gr cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of ice cold water
For the Chocolate filling:
- 4 strips unflavored gelatine
- 2/3 cup powder sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups milk
- 60 gr dark chocolate, chopped
- A pinch of salt
For the pastry:
- In a food processor add the flour, sugar and salt and pulse a couple of time to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Add the chilled butter and pulse till the mixture resembles lumpy sand.
- Add the ice cold water and pulse a couple of times.
- Tip the dough on a lightly floured surface and bring it together using your hands being careful not to knead it.
- Form into a disk, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- After resting the dough shape it into a circle using a rolling pin and place into your tart pan. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake in a preheated oven till slightly browned.
- Set aside and cool completely.
For the filling:
- Place the gelatin strips in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan mix the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- Add the milk gradually while whisking until smooth.
- Place saucepan on medium heat and cook till mixture thickens making sure to whisk all the time.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate and mix till melted completely.
- Stir in the gelatin strips and mix.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of the custard till it gets to room temperature. the plastic wrap will prevent a skin from forming on the custard.
- When both crust and custard are at room temperature fill the crust with the custard and place in your fridge to set for at least 4 hours.