My friends called this “the home wrecker” and I have to agree. One spoon leads to another and before you know it, its gone! Very easy to make and can be used in so many ways…I love my caramel salted so I added in the list of ingredients salt but you can totally omit it. Be very careful while doing this because it can burn badly so be confident and I would suggest not to have any kids around. Hope you will try it!
- 400 gr regular sugar
- 165 gr unsalted butter at room temperature, diced
- 250 ml heavy cream at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt (optional)
- Add the sugar in a saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Using a wooden spoon stir constantly. The sugar will form a bit of clumps but eventually it will melt into an amber-colored liquid.
- When the sugar melts lower the heat a bit and add the butter. Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Once the butter is melted add the cream very carefully and mix. The mixture will rapidly bubble when added. Let it boil for one minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
- Add the salt, if using, and let it simmer on low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the heat and pour the caramel into a sterilized jar. The caramel will thicken as it cools.