My love for tomatoes is endless and everybody knows it! Every year I wait for mid September when tomato season is at its peak and I make different kinds of preserves and tomato jam is one of them. So good in cheese or steak sandwiches, serve it on a cheese board, spread it as a pizza base, in a burger, as a dip…This jam is so good that i am finding it really hard to describe its taste, you will have to do it and let me know !!! Make sure to weigh your tomatoes after you peel and deseed them.
- 600 gr ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded (you should have 500 gr left) and roughly chopped
- 1 big garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 red chilly, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of regular sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- A couple of fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup hot water
- In a sauce pan on medium heat add olive oil and onion. Cook till onion is translucent.
- Once the onion is soft and done add the garlic, chilly, ginger and cook for just a minute.
- Now add the tomatoes, sugar, balsamic, season to taste with salt and pepper and let it simmer on medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add the fresh herb, mix well, cover the pan, lower the heat and let it gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take the herb sprig out, add the 1/4 cup hot water, cover and let it simmer again very gently for 30 minutes checking and mixing just to make sure nothing sticks and burns on the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and let the jam come to room temperature before serving it.