Miguel turns 10 years old today and asked me to make him his favorite chocolate cake. Super easy to make and very moist this chocolate cake is a must. I divided the batter in 2 baking tins because I wanted two layers but you can totally bake it as one big cake. Also, I must admit, I frosted the cake with store bought chocolate frosting, oh well 🙂
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup corn or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups full fat milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water (it must be boiling)
- 4 teaspoons of instant coffee.
- In a bowl sift (or whisk) together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a jug add the oil, eggs, vanilla & milk and whisk till incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk till just incorporated. It will look very dense and lumpy.
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the boiling water and add to the batter.
- Mix all together very carefully. The batter will look shiny and very loose.
- Divide the batter in 2 20-23 cm baking tins lined with baking paper.
- Bake in preheated oven on 180° for 30-40 minutes making sure you take them out before they dry out completely.
- Cool cakes on wire rack before frosting.
- Keeps well refrigerated for 4-5 days.