I think this is becoming my signature bread as lately I have been doing all kinds of twisted breads and brioches; but I just can’t help it as they look so pretty and yummi!! Don’t be scared about the steps as its super easy to make and it will wow anyone, I guarantee this!!
For the dough:
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water, about
For the filling:
- 250 gr frozen spinach, defrosted and pressed to get rid of the liquid
- 150 gr feta cheese, crumbled
- A handful pine-nuts or chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 egg yolk to glaze
- Salt and pepper
- A bit of grated nutmeg
- Place flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl and mix with a fork to combine.
- Add olive oil and add enough warm water to make a soft dough (you might need less water or more depending on temperature, humidity etc..)
- Knead well on a floured surface til dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover and place in a warm place til doubled in size, about an hour.
- While the dough is resting prepare your filling by mixing in a bowl the spinach, crumbled feta, nuts if using and seasoning with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Tip the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out a rectangle (37 x 33 cm APPROXIMATELY)
- Brush the egg yolk all over the dough.
- Spread the filling all over evenly.
- Roll the dough, starting from the longest edge then, living just the tip intact, cut the dough in half lengthwise. Open out the pieces so that the cut sides are uppermost. Loosely twit the two pieces together by lifting the right hand piece over the left hand until the ends are reached.
- Carefully transfer to a tray lined with baking paper.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven on 200 until golden.
- Serve warm or cold.