One of my favorite Middle Eastern dishes ever is fattet hummos. The crunch of the bread and fried nuts against the warmth and softness of the chickpeas topped with cool garlicky yogurt is just WOW! I like to call this ‘Layers of goodness in a plate’ Very easy comes together in no time!
Quantities for 2:
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium size pita bread, cut into bite size pieces
- A handful of pinenuts, cashews or chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- Salt, cumin, sumac, dried mint, paprika
- Preheat your oven on 180.
- Place the cut bread in a tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with some sumac & cumin. Toss all together and place in the oven to toast, about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they get to burn quickly.
- While the bread is toasting warm the chickpeas by placing them, with their juices, in a pan on medium heat.
- Prepare the yogurt mixture: add the yogurt, tahini paste and garlic in bowl and whisk till nice and creamy. Check seasoning and adjust.
- In a frying pan add the butter and nuts of your choice and fry till golden.
- To assemble: in a serving bowl add the bread. Top with drained chickpeas. Top with yogurt mix. Top with the nuts and sprinkle a bit of dried mint and paprika.
- Serve with lots of fresh veggies on the side.