All I can say about this cake is that I remember making it countless times when I was a child. Back then there were no measuring cups and measuring spoons etc…My auntie used to say “Just use the same cup for all the ingredients” and usually the cup she would refer to would be the classic glass we used to drink water with. It is my favorite cake ever and my kids love it too. It stays a bit sticky on the surface after baking and I simply adore that chewy part and sometimes I warm some apricot jam and using a pastry brush I spread it on the top when the cake is still warm…it gives it a little something special. Super easy to make, hope you will try it!!
- 3 cups of all purpose flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or corn oil
- 1 cup milk
- The zest of one lemon or orange or both
- In a large bowl sift together the flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer place sugar, lemon zest and eggs and beat till doubled in size and pale in color.
- Add half of the flour and the oil, mix well.
- Add the other half of the flour and milk, mix till just combined.
- Pour in your prepared cake tin and bake in preheated oven on 180 for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.