This is a dessert that one of my aunties used to make which I loved as a child and used to wait impatiently for it. It’s very simple, only requires 4 ingredients and some sugar syrup and comes together really quickly.
- 30 crust less soft bread
- 200 gr of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cans (170gr) Ashta Nestle
- A handful of pistachios, crashed
For the Syrup:
- 1 Cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place the bread in a food processor and whiz till the bread looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Transfer bread to a bowl and add melted butter.
- Using your hands rub butter into bread.
- In an oven safe dish place half of bread mix and evenly spread on bottom pressing lightly.
- Add the ashta nestle and spread evenly on bread mixture.
- Use other half of bread mix to cover.
- Place in preheated oven till golden, about 20 minutes.
- While the dessert is in the oven make the syrup by adding both sugar and water to a saucepan and gently cooking till thickened, about 20 minutes.
- As soon as the dessert is out of the oven drizzle syrup, both have to be hot.
- Leave to cool a bit.
- Serve at warm or at room temperature.