These cupcakes are ridiculously moist and very rich in flavor. I personally am not a fan of banana in cakes but I was curious to see how the combination of flavors would turn out…needless to say they were insanely delicious!!!!!!!
Credits for this recipe go to https://www.handletheheat.com/dulce-de-leche-banana-cupcakes-chocolate-frosting/
I substituted dulce de lece with my homemade caramel and the sour cream with labneh (greek yogurt) which are almost the same thing.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream or labneh
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 large bananas, smashed
- 1/2 a cup of dulce de lece or caramel
For the frosting:
- 227 gr cream cheese, at room temperature
- 57 gr butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar till light and fluffy on medium/high speed.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and beat till well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the smashed bananas and mix well.
- Bring the speed down to low and gradually add the flour mixture until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Fill paper liners 3/4 full and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place cupcakes on a wire rack and cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Sift together the sugar and cocoa and gradually add to the cream cheese mix and beat until smooth.
- Using an apple corer make a small hole in the middle of each cupcake.
- Using a piping bag fill each cupcake with dulce de lece or caramel.
- Fill another piping bag with frosting and pipe over the cupcakes.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Let cupcakes come to room temperature before serving.