I just love lemons…the scent of its zest just makes me happier and the tang of its juice…just perfect. it reminds me of summer and cold refreshing lemonades with lots of ice or in this case a fragrant and soft sponge cake. My kids loved it too!!
For the cake:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup milk
For the icing:
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well before adding the next one.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the flour mix and milk and beat until just incorporated making sure you end up with a smooth batter.
- Grease a 25 cm cake pan or bundt pan and pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling make the icing by mixing together the icing sugar and lemon juice till smooth and thick.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides.