Chocolate and orange is a winning combination, it’s one of those things that just works every single time.
While baking this cake I discovered the importance of choosing the exact tin size because it really matters. For this cake a 20 cm round cake tin is recommended. If you feel like it’s too small double the recipe and get a bigger tin!
- 225 gr butter at room temperature
- 225 gr sugar
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 225 gr self raising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- Grated zest of 2 big oranges
- Heat your oven to 180 C.
- Grease a 20 cm round cake tin.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Then start adding the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour until well combined and divide the mixture in half. Place the other half in a different bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder into one half and the orange zest into the other half.
- Put alternate spoons of the chocolate and orange mixtures into the cake tin. Swirl a knife through it gently and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely on a wire rack.