This is a traditional armenian dish that will surely gather all the family around the table. So flavorful and healthy usually these patties are served with a salad (recipe below) , fries and pickles.
Dig in and enjoy!!
- 2 cups red lentils, cleaned and washed
- 4 cups of water
- 1 ½ cup fine bulgur, washed till water runs clear
- 2 big onions, very finely chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste, optional
- Olive oil or vegetable oil as needed
- Place the washed lentils in a deep pan and add the water. Season with salt and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat and, skimming white foam from water, let them cook for about 30 to 40 minutes until smoochy.
- Turn off the heat and add the bulgur. Give it a good stir, cover pan and let sit till lukewarm and bulgur has absorbed all the remaining water.
- In the meantime fry the onions until just about golden. Add them all to the lentils mixture. Add cumin, paprika and pepper paste (if using) and stir all very well.
- Let stand till cold.
- Transfer lentils mixture to a large tray and start working the mixture with your hands till everything is well incorporated and smooth.
- Start dipping hand into cool water and take small bite size pieces and squeeze with your fingers to make the patties.
- Arrange on a serving platter. If not doing the salad I like to sprinkle them with a bit of very finely chopped parsley and green onions.
The salad for these patties is without any lemon or oil. Its purpose is for dipping the patties in.
- 2 Ripe tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley, very finely chopped
- 4 green onions, very finely chopped
- A handful of fresh mint leaves, very finely chopped
- Salt to taste.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix .