I mean seriously, the active time to put this meal together is 40 minutes and then just let time do the work while enjoying the aromas. This recipe, just like most stews, is preferably cooked at a medium low temperature allowing the flavors and juices to flow.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes. Delizioso!
- 1 kg shin cut or any meat that requires slow cooking
- 6 medium sized carrots, chopped at an angle into medium sized pieces
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 big leeks, cut in half lengthwise and finely chopped
- 10 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 heaped tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of red wine. Choose a red wine that you enjoy drinking.
- 400 gr of canned chopped tomatoes
- A sprig of each: rosemary, sage, thyme and 1 cinnamon stick tied together with a string
- Water as much as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn ur oven on 220°C and place inside an empty tray.
- Generously season your beef with salt and pepper on all sides and drizzle with olive oil.
- Take the tray out of the oven and place the meat in the tray and back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime heat a splash of olive oil in an oven proof heavy bottom pan.
- Add the carrots, garlic, leeks, celery, shallots. Season with salt and pepper and gently let it fry for 10 minutes. Add the flour to the veggies and stir well untill all is coated.
- At this point add the wine. Let it evaporate and scrape all the burned pieces in the bottom of the pan.
- Once the alcohol in the wine has evaporated add the herbs, the cloves mix well and add the tomatoes. Bring all to a boil.
- Get the meat from the oven and place in the sauce along with any juices from the tray.
- Mix gently and add as much water as needed to cover everything. Cover the pot tightly with the lid and place in the oven on 190°C for 4 hours.
- Halfway through take the pan carefully out of the oven and give it a quick and gentle stir.