Tiramisu literally means “pick me up”. It is the most famous italian dessert. Nowadays you can find many different versions with chocolate sauces, with fruits, etc. However the key ingredients that should always be used are: espresso, raw eggs, and mascarpone.
Raw eggs, unless from a trust-worthy source, can cause food poisoning. My recipe below does not include any. I will be posting one soon.
- 300 gr Savoiardi
- 350 gr Mascarpone, at room temperature
- 300 ml whipping cream, cold
- 120 gr powdered sugar
- Instant coffee or espresso, as much as needed
- Cocoa powder
- Beat the mascarpone and 60 gr of sugar until smooth and well combined.
- Whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks are formed.
- Gently Fold the mascarpone into the cream in 2 batches.
- Dip the Savoiardi into the coffee and place into chosen dish sugar side up.
- Spread half the mascarpone cream on top.
- Make another layer of Savoiardi and finish with the remaining mascarpone.
- Using a small sift, dust with cocoa powder and chill at least for 4 hrs before serving.