Simple sponge cakes are my favorite. They are quick and easy to make with only few ingredients. Yet sponge cakes are not visually appealing for most people as trends (good and outrages ones) in mounting cakes have been soaring. This cake is perfect with your morning coffee/tea or as an afternoon delight. You can slice the cake horizontally in half and spread a thick layer of your favorite jam or whipped cream with fresh fruits.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 ½ cups of white granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil (corn, sunflower etc)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- The rind of 1 whole lemon
- Optional: ¾ cup of shredded coconut
- In the bowl of an electric mixture place the eggs, sugar and lemon rind and beat on medium high speed for about 15 mins until pale and creamy.
- In the meantime sift the flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Alternating between wet and dry ingredients add them to the eggs and sugar until you have a smooth batter. At this point add the shredded coconut if using.
- Grease and flour a cake pan and pour in the batter.
- Place on the middle rack of a preheated oven (200°C) and bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let rest for 10 mins before tipping the cake on a serving stand.