Most vegetables are nowadays available all year round including asparagus. Whether fresh or frozen, asparagus is a delicate vegetable that is jam-packed with nutrients and earthy mild undertones. Extremely versatile, asparagus can be the star of many different recipes including omelets, risottos, grills, and soups. Here is my recipe for this luscious soup.
- 1 kg green asparagus, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup cooking cream, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tips from the asparagus and save for garnish, about 12.
- Cook onion in butter over medium heat until softened. Add asparagus and season. Cook for about 5 mins.
- Add 5 cups of broth and simmer, covered until asparagus is very tender, about 20 mins.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth and return to pan.
- Stir in the cream.
- Heat the soup through adding more broth to adjust desired consistency.