Also known as ‘itch’, this healthy bulghur salad is a constant feature on every armenian’s family table.
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of mild pepper paste
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 4 to 5 medium sized ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup of fine bulghur
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: pomegranate syrup
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pot, add the onions and cook till translucent.
- Add the mild pepper paste and the ground cumin. Stir until the paste melts.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cook for 20mns on medium heat until the tomatoes are cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and add the burghul. Mix thoroughly and cover so the burghul absorbs all the juices. Once lukewarm, add the lemon juice, parsley, and spring onions.
I also love to add pomegranate syrup for a richer taste. Enjoy it at room temperature or straight from your fridge with some pickles and potato fries.